Saturday, May 17, 2014
twenties Posted at 12:31 AM 0 comments (+)

Lying in bed the other day, I had a funny (and possibly naive) thought. What have I learned in my twenties? It's only been two months since my 20th birthday and I don't know if that triggered all these odd bodily changes, but I'm starting to notice things. For one, dehydration (from a short bout of food poisoning) causes your skin to lose elasticity, thus leading to stretch marks! Sad day when you discover little permanent markings on your once smooth thighs. Oh god. And I can't handle coffee, I just can't. Also, maybe using shampoo instead of shaving cream isn't a good idea. I've recently had that epiphany and made a quick change (which included an enjoyable trip to Target). And maybe scheduling work and school back to back, including time for sleep, and only leaving yourself two hours a day to study isn't such a great idea because you forget to add for lag time and dilly-dallying time and quiet time.....and time for yourself. And I've already known this almost my entire life, but you can't have both fun time and school time because fun time always ends up taking longer than you intended. The consequences just bite you in the ass harder than when you were a teen because all of these responsibilities and things are actually starting to matter and affect your future somehow. And you know, shit you did in high school really doesn't matter (I've been telling myself this for a while) and all your hobbies that you stick with are few of the things that'll keep you sane, happy and feeling like you still have control over yourself. Because when responsibilities and things start to matter, all you want to do is go back to doing things that you think didn't matter and have no say in your future--but it does! Doing things I love, no matter how trivial, is what keeps me from giving up on whatever bullshit obstacle I have to go through. I'll be extremely vague and quick, but after the semester ended and I went home and shed the stinking stress that was hanging off of me since the start of this year and did what I used to love doing during my free time, I felt like I was in my own skin again. Don't get me wrong, there's tons of things coming my way that's going to drive me insane and kill me slowly inside, but maybe that's why I'm writing this more for my sake.
About
A simple little nook where I can (hopefully) neatly put my creative and more personal side.

"The journey is my home."
— Muriel Rukeyser

Instagram
flickr
Credits
Layout by mymostloved with script, background and image.